Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book OPINION of INCARNATION by Jason Tesar

Book Title:  Incarnation
Author: Jason Tesar
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy

I'm actually at the beginning of the book, which is why I've written "OPINION" instead of review.  I'm finding all kinds of hyper-links to the dictionary in the back on the book, giving the definition of what I'm reading.  This element is a great appreciation to the reader when we want to find the definition ourselves, but REALLY distracting and leads us away from the story, confusing the reader as we're trying simply to "get into" the book!

In previous books our author has put his maps and his things of importance in the back with hyper-links as well, and I can't tell you how many times I ended up on a map cussing, instead of turning the page.  Perhaps our author and his publisher would be kind enough to leave out the hyper-links and instead place all the pertinent information he thinks is necessary for the reader to know in order to understand his sci-fi story, at the beginning of the book and simply underline the words available for definition and explanation.  At least this way the reader could really READ THE STORY!

After all, the beginning is a VERY important part of story and so far, in turning my first three pages I've already hit TWELVE hyper-links, explaining what something is in the dictionary in the back of the book.  And they aren't just hyper-linked once... it's every single time you see the word, it's got a hyper-link. 

I just can't put into words not only how annoying it is to try and touch my page to turn it, only to end up at the back of the book and to have my reading device now indicate to me that the furthest page read is now in the darn dictionary!  Not to mention I have to keep re-reading what I've already read to simply understand what's going on!!

At this point, this reader is quite tempted to throw this one back out and forget about it because it's taking too much effort to just "relax and read"!  I feel like I'm in class and may be quizzed on this later and it's really making it difficult to stick with it if it's a chore. 

I've had the same problems with previous books by this author who hyper-links the same thing over and over again, taking me from a wonderful story to a map drawing at the end of the book.  When I began this book, I noticed the maps at the beginning and silently said "THANK YOU" because I thought the repeated hyper-link and my constantly being sent to the maps was over.  Guess not.  I'd love to talk about the story itself... but I keep getting sent to the a dictionary.  Perhaps I'll try again later when my mind is able to calm down and READ again, for now I have demons to kill in another book!

GRRRRR  >:-( 

NO BOOKMARKS BECAUSE I CAN'T READ IT RIGHT NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment