Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review of "Pagan" by Andrew Chapman

Book Title: Pagan-(Ministry of Paranormal Research and Defence)
Author:  Andrew Chapman
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Action

From the beginning of any book, I read the jacket cover, or in the case of "Kindle", I read the "details" given by the book seller.  From there, I don't pay attention to who the author is or what sex they are.  It's the content and possible draw of a good story that catches my attention and will either keep me reading or lose me somewhere along the way.  I say this, because there is a point, yes.

This is my second time reading Pagan, because I just love it.  It takes me from the usual  human/vampire/werewolf forbidden love angle, and completely derails it to a point.  So, you're reading a whole new and different take on the subject, which is marvelous!  The characters are actually new ideas, the romance is new, the story has been told in a much different way...  This is where I'm telling you what that first paragraph meant; after reading the book and getting into it, to the point that it could talk someone into believing, at the beginning, that it could actually be out of the realm of Fiction (which is a hard thing to do in this genre of vampire/werewolf/human/etc.).  However, as I read on, I was all the sudden taken into a military world or a gun enthusiast's world because I was being given all kinds of information about the kinds of munitions being used, what they looked like, how they were used, if they were good to kill vampires with, etc.  After a few instances of really detailed gun descriptions I looked at my husband and said, "I think a guy wrote this book."  He says, "why would you say something sexist like that, how the hell do you know?"  To which I replied by reading one of the many descriptions about a gun and how it is handled, what it felt like to load, how to load it, etc  He then says to me, "OK, you're right.  I think a guy wrote it too."  To which, I bookmarked my Kindle, and went to see who the author was and was rewarded to see that Andrew had written it.  :)

Now, once you get past the fact that the descriptions are so detailed, you realized later on through the book, you needed that information so you know who is killing who, what weapon they're using and why.  It's necessary to know it, but I don't believe the detail to the point that it's given was necessary.  Then again, the readership might broaden more if men actually like stuff like that, which a lot do.  So...  on to the reviewing...

Andrew is not only great at giving details of munitions, but he's got a wife who really knows how to help with the detailed romancing part!  (Thank you Mrs. Chapman!)  I just had to get that in there before I forgot it.

The characters in this book are truly believable given the story being told.  As I said, it's truly like the story states, years of "feel sorry for the vampires" was just a ploy to mainstream them.  Which opens the debate up for, "are there really such creatures?"  It truly made you ask yourself... to a point, obviously.  The characters are real, genuinely have each others backs, like a military type "family" does. 

"Pagan" is actually the code name for the leader of the group of vampire hunters.  He's a no BS kinda guy.  Therefore, you can expect that the rest of the characters would be that way, but you'd be wrong.  This book had so many twists that I thought I would get confused but I loved it, because it kept things almost plausible.  I just can't say that enough!

Love does find our hero, pain finds our hero, death finds our hero....  as you know, you can't always win fighting vampires.  His reputation precedes him in some cases, as the book is set in England, with the British Forces and the Ministry of Paranormal Research and Defence (sic), and the propaganda machine has got Romance Novels based on the main character out so the humans have someone or something they can believe in, and there are toys for kids, and just a bunch of stuff based on "Pagan".  It kinda becomes an all inclusive kind of name, but it's just one man, on a mission to save the world from vampires.

The characters are well written...  you can just imagine looks on faces, body language, laughter.  The villains are well contrived and, of course, always seem to be able to out-do our hero, but he always proves to us that good will always triumph over evil.  As I've already stated the story is wonderful..  The way love slaps Pagan upside the head is so true to form.  The ending leaves you wanting more.... which any good book SHOULD do.  This is why I love this series so much...  Gifts that are given really mean something.  Dates with friends, are to be relished.  It helps you to remember what LIFE is really about and to treasure the good, because you never know when the bad will take it away from you.

I'd give you more... but I'm afraid I'd give the storyline away, and I really try hard not to do that.  But believe me..  This book is the polar opposite of what you think a vampire/paranormal romance novel is or should be.  That's why I love it so much and hope you'll give it chance... then read the second book in the series and then jump on my bandwagon and get Andrew Chapman to give us the final book in the series!  So, run out right now and start reading...   PAGAN!

4.5 out of 5 Bookmarks

M

No comments:

Post a Comment