Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Book Title: Shadow of Night (second in the Discovery of Witches Trilogy)
Author:  Deborah Harkness
Genre:  Paranormal, Romance, Historical Mystery

I must say in this "Kindle World" of ours, I miss walking through a store, drink in my hand, waiting and looking for that book or books that call to me.  Had I not found the predecessor to this trilogy that way, I probably would have missed it completely and that's a shame!

However, after reading "A Discovery of Witches" there was no way I could NOT buy this and (sigh) *download* it and begin it as soon as I could.  Boy, did it deliver!

I was not disappointed in any way.  There were no lingering questions left that you didn't expect, which some others tend to do.  Leave 20 questions hanging in the air and you're left bummed out.  I did not feel that way, but I was still excited to know there's a third in the works and I can't wait to see what happens!

We find our main characters going back in time to find a book and for our lead female, Diana, to learn how to be a proper witch!  Along for the ride is our male lead, Matthew, who has gone by several names over his 4000+ years as a vampire.  There is so much history interwoven into this story that I found myself smiling through much of it.  I cried when necessary, laughed out loud and made my husband suffer through my reading a particularly funny part I just *had* to share with someone! 

As any reader of novels such as this, there are a few rules and one of them is that the species do not mix.  So for Diana and Matthew to be in a relationship is not only Taboo, it's against the laws of the species.  So there's always someone trying to get to them.  However, Diana got them to the 1500s but she has no idea what kind of magic she has, which is why she traveled through time; besides the fact that she has no idea how to get them back to their own time.  Matthew believes a book found in their modern time may hold the key to why the "creatures" are going extinct, but the book found in the future and then lost again, was not complete.  In the past they travel to, he's hoping to find the book in it's complete form and finally figure out what it all means.

Meanwhile, Diana and Matthew are still looking into the alchemy that brought them together and Diana meets many figures that, for a historical professor from Oxford, would die to meet and have a conversation with.  

Matthew meets up with ghosts from his past, that have haunted him to his modern day dilemma.  He also tries to change things that his future self, finds regrettable now.  

Deborah Harkness has also given us a wonderful way to explain how they've traveled back in time and how Matthew doesn't run into himself, literally!  This book is such a treat, and people who love mysteries thrown in with some history, this book will scratch that itch!  Highly Recommended!

4.8 out of 5 Bookmarks

M

No comments:

Post a Comment