Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Book Review of "Vampire Paradox" By Elaine Waldron

Book Title:  Vampire Paradox
Author: Elaine Waldron
Genre: Paranormal Romance


40% through a book, and yet again I've found a book whose it's own worst enemy.

This book, strangely enough, I PAID FOR!  It was advertised on my Kindle in sleep mode.  I read the summary and thought it sounded great!  As I read through...  I just shook my head.

I was reminded of characters from cable television series (True Blood Anyone?) and prime time television (Vampire Diaries Anyone?).  Even a few from a well known series made into movies ending this winter! (Twilight, Anyone?)  But I'm also seeing so many errors in the book itself... WHERE is the Editor?  Did we not bother to proofread?

At one point I'd read enough about "vibrating heads" I just shook my head and thought " no thesaurus huh?"  The author even calls one of her characters "Beth" instead of "Bess".  Really, you don't know your own character's names?  We also seem to "gafaw" a lot!

Story continuity has problems at times and the climactic ending is really a let down.  Someone has a hunch, then someone else.  Too coincidental.  Then, it's perhaps the lack of that thesaurus that the author can't find a way to describe how vampires fight.  All the sudden the book is over and you are left feeling unfulfilled, wondering why you actually paid for this, when the free books you've been getting are so much better!

Believe me when I say I've written enough here you've probably gotten the story figured out by now.

I will say this however, I am a Gold Star Aunt, having lost my nephew in 2007 to an IED in Iraq.  To this day our hearts have not healed.  One of the main characters is introduced as having just lost her husband in Afghanistan and has a 6 year old daughter. (Who, by the way acts and talks like she's 16!) HOW UNSYMPATHETIC AND HOW HURTFUL TO OUR MILITARY FAMILIES TO BUILD A STORY FROM A LOSS SUCH AS THIS!!  EVEN AFTER SHE'S ALREADY QUOTED THE MAIN FEMALE CHARACTER AS SAYING "IT WAS TOO SOON AFTER " HER HUSBAND'S DEATH TO SLEEP WITH SOMEONE ELSE - SHE'S SO EAGER TO TURN INTO A VAMPIRE TO SAVE THE VAMPIRE NEXT DOOR!!!

Let's walk a little closer to reality, shall we?  And if you want to refer to a killed military husband or wife, let's use some tact or think of someone who might be going through the same thing (death of spouse in war).  It's not as easy to go through as this author has written it, and I'm not impressed it was used at all.  Makes my tummy turn.  SHAME ON YOU!

1 out of 5 Bookmarks

3 comments:

  1. I actually liked this book. Also, I do not see any reason to associate any of the characters with those of other books. You have a right to your opinion, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to add, that I have lost a spouse. Not in the military, but I know what grief is. I also lost an uncle in the war. Almost destroyed his, still pregnant wife at the time, but we all managed to get past it. It is a horrible thing to lose someone you love. I still think of my husband, and it's been over twenty years. Not a day goes by that I don't miss him. But to associate these things with a fictional book, and fictional characters, in my opinion, is a little far. I am sure the author was merely doing her best to write an entertaining story. As far as the little girl goes, I have several grandchildren who are pretty darn smart, and would and do say things like the little girl does in the book. Children are pretty bright these days, especially with the technology we have. All in all, I sympathize with your pain, but I do not agree with your review. You, however, as I said earlier, are entitled to your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am familiar with this book and know that it predates the TV/Film productions mentioned, so insinuations of plagiarism are wide of the mark. I lost a grandfather in World War I and an uncle in World War II, but I would never dream of using that as a basis on which to criticise a writer's work of fiction. Comment on the work's literary merits by all means, but you seem to have concentrated on what is most probably a misprint. Hardly a reasonable basis for such a negative review.

      Delete