Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I can't say enough...

I was so against electronic books.  My daughter and I lamented about the fact that we loved the weight of a book when we read it.  We loved the smell of the paper pages.  The dog ears where someone had folded a corner down.  We loved that we could grab it and take it anywhere, regardless of how big or small.

Then I tried an IPad2.  I hated it.  Absolutely hated it.  For the money, it didn't do what the store employee promised, UNLESS I wanted to pay for several downloaded applications, that I of course, had to pay more for, but in the end, it WAS and IPad2, right?  WRONG.  I took it back, and with the money it took to buy that IPad2 I was able to buy a laptop (Toshiba), and 2 Kindles.  One for reading at night (Fire) and the Touch, so I could read outside in the sun.  And I still had money left in my pocket!

So, I get on Facebook, and start noticing all the "Free Kindle E-Books" advertisements.  I "like" the page and start getting e-mails and things sent to me about free books.  Most of them, Indie Authors.  Individuals who are new to publishing their books, writing books, etc.  Where I use to go browsing in my favorite bookstore with one of my kids or my husband with a Latte in my hand, and would leave having spent at least $75 in new books, I am receiving more books, at no cost.  AND THEY'RE GREAT BOOKS!!!

I'm SO glad I have found Independent Authors.  One thing I've noticed that I think needs pointing out though, is spell check is NOT a replacement for a good proofreader/editor.  The more authors I read, the more I find that a few (like myself)  tend toward a couple typos.  I find those even in printed books.  But I'm finding more and more authors that are writing e-books are seemingly unaware of many problems from punctuation to misspelled words and grammatical errors.  I can't explain to you the impact these problems can have on your readership.  Please...  find someone OUTSIDE your circle to proofread/edit for you.  FRESH eyes and the best eyes before you send it out.  Your reputation depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment