Sunday, March 3, 2013

Book Review: Play Dead By Anne Fraiser

Book Title:  Play Dead
Author:  Anne Fraiser
Genre:  Paranormal/Mystery/Thriller


Wow.  Amazing how the books I picked lately are leading me to zombies - or in this case, drugs that mimic death!

GREAT READ!  Great plot - Ex-FBI agent goes into local cop work after his wife kills their son - skeletons in the closet!

The reason I actually chose to read this book was it was a mystery set in Savannah, Georgia.  I recently vacationed there and fell in love with it's history, and the author uses it to her advantage in this keep you guessing crime novel.

I'm looking forward to the squeal announced at the end of the book!

Our primary female player has her own interesting back story - abandoned as a baby in a cemetery, adopted by a nice family yet always felt she didn't fit in.  She grows up and becomes a cop, who just happened to be partnered with the newbie in the office, the ex-agent, though no one knows he's an ex-agent yet.

The duo then get wrapped up in a case that seems to have bodies re-animating themselves after they've been pronounced dead.  You've got Magic involved, spells, Hoo Doo and Voo Doo, and having visited the city, when they mention a specific place, I could picture it in my head, making the story more "real" for me.

A quick fact before I give you my "score" for this book.  Savannah is known as the city ON the dead.  Unlike New Orleans, the city OF the dead.  You see, I learned when we were there, Savannah was the first "planned community" in the United States.  But, there was one small cemetery.  You had slaves there, and illnesses hit..  so once the ONE place was full, people started burying the dead in their backyards.  When buildings burnt down or were replaced, they just built on top of it, including graves from prisoners of war, Indian burial grounds and the like.  So the city is literally built ON TOP OF *MILLIONS* of the dead leading it to made named one of America's most Haunted Cities.

So when you read this story, allow that tidbit of history just float in your brain....  

3.5 out of 5 Bookmarks  

No comments:

Post a Comment